Not wishing to underestimate the provocation from Hamas and Hezbollah, it seems nevertheless like retaliation a hundredfold against anyone who stands in their way. I do not in any way subscribe to the Lex Talionis (here), but I do not believe that Holy Writ in any way condones for those who do promote it ....a hundred eyes for an eye, a thousand teeth for a tooth....
That responmse must be named for what it is and that is not retribution but rather bullying and injustice.
The much vaunted concept of "hubris"---does anyone know what it means anymore would seem to be what is the besetting sin of the state of Israel
Aristotle defined hubris as follows:
This does not seem to me to be what Adonai Elohenu calls us to be and do.
- Hubris consists in doing or saying things that cause shame to the victim,
- not in order that anything may happen to you, nor because anything has
- happened to you, but merely for your own gratification. Hubris is not the
- requital of past injuries; this is revenge. As for the pleasure in hubris, its
- cause is this: men think that by ill-treating others they make their own
- superiority the greater.