Thursday 26 July 2007

Off the mark

After having been told yesterday that the local Hills and Valley Messenger had done an expose on a new Brethren compound in our area, and it went on for page after page; I suppoose I should have been more careful when a reporter rang up.
Her guise was to question about the census "Why did I think that Anglican figures had gone down?" and "Yes, the census said that Buddhist and Hindu figures had gone up"
Well these things are more complex than they seem. I suggested.
Buddhists and Hindus are coming off a low base.
We (Anglicans) are trying but we are getting older and the census doesn't tell us anything that we don't already know!
I even said "I'm a bit cautious about sayiung too much because it's not straight forward"
"That's OK," she proffered, "I'm a Catholic"
Didn't actually make me feel any better.
Having been burnt by the media a couple of years ago (it was TV admittedly) I hung the phone up thinking that I had probably said too much and should have said nothing.
We shall wait and see what comes of it.

No comments: