Friday 30 November 2007

Learning from mistakes

It is the time of year when some women and men will be ordained priests and deacons in our Diocese.
This creates a riot of feelings in me. On the one hand I think this is really important...both for the individuals and the life of the church; on the other hand these things also have a habit of proclaiming all the wrong sorts of things about ministry. In particular the liturgy seems to often suggest it is about power rather than prayer, that it is about authority rather than service.
That is is about exclusivity rather than inclusivity.
It maybe proclaims this because I am so caught up in it...and at times such occasions weigh heavily. So heavily that I cannot bear to go.
At the moment I think I will be OK...but ity will be hot! And we will have to get dressed up, and we have a lot of things to do tomorrow, and no one will ever notice I'm not there...and
Well we'll just have to wait ands see whether or not the guilt/responsibility kicks in!

No comments: