Tuesday 1 July 2008

No great surprise

No one will have been greatly surprised that Alexander Downer is about to resign to take up some nebulous post for the UN in its work on Cyprus.
I suppose that Cyprus is still an issue, though one commentator has noted that they thought that Cyprus was all concluded 4 years ago.
I think that was pettiness, there is still work to do there. But lest we forget,(here) an ex tempore by-election (on current figures) will cost the taxpayer between 400 and 500 thousand dollars.
The same commentator noted that perhaps this should be deducted from the more thna generous superannuation that Alexander will collect, whilst also having the prestigious UN job and his won private consultancies. Kerching!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

However, Alexander is only working part-time.. something about a work life balance I suppose....Father Stephen, there is a question I was wondering if you could help me with...I am one of 6 children... 4 girls and 2 boys... and due to my failing health I have recently been in hospital for surgery...again.. on an already weakened arm. All my sisters have rang to monitor my progress.. but both my brothers have failed to do so,is it because one is an international traveller with a high profile position, and doesn't care? And the other one didn't know, as he lives in the desert country?

Stephan Clark said...

That's funny I was sure I was at a function when I observed your brother being most attentive in converse.
If your brother is an international traveller, it is probably because he deserves to be. And instead of complaining you should rewrite your will and make him your sole beneficiary, so that when he is saddened by your demise he may be able to go to a high place and sit and weep for you.
The high place would either be the Tower (Pisa, Eiffel or Blackpool, only one of which he had to force himself to go to last year because he was so worried about you.