Thursday 11 September 2008

Listening to what people say

I have been having a lot of conversations lately in which I have been listening carefully to what people say. Because of course the plain meaning is not what is always being conveyed.
Sometimes the speaker is saying what the hearer wants to hear.
I think Senator Palin is a bit like this. And I remember that Ms Hanson was rather like that too. I see a similarity.
Sometimes the speaker is saying what they think ought to be said. With an eye on accountability, or perhaps even history, they are are cautious. It is not a good position to be in.
And then I have been speaking, too, to a lot of vulnerable people. Who just don't know what to say or to whom. 
And I feel a bit sad that we can't just be open and say what we mean, and what we feel. I am saddened for those people whose sexuality has to be denied, or can't be admitted to in all circumstances. And I wonder what damage is done to those who have to constantly temper what they say about themselves.  The gay person has few allies in this world. They are not vote winners, or sympathetic characters. But I want to stand alongside them and say, no matter how judgmental others are, I don't want to be. I don't think the Lord is, and it's about time we did a bit better.

No comments: