Tuesday 24 February 2009

Pancake Tuesday

We loved this day as children, it was the only day we ever had pancakes. Now I have a 15 year old who can whip up a mean batch for breakfast any Saturday.
Today as I lead a (pre-Lent) Bible study we were talking about how this Christian Festival (Shrove Tuesday...the day before Lent begins, sometimes even called Mardi Gras or "greasy Tuesday"  to translate) had been taken over as hundreds of pancakes were given away in Rundle Mall without any explanation.
The trouble is it's ancient. The trouble is it's northern hemisphere.  The trouble is we live in the (in my opinion) second-most secular country in the world (after France).
Any way...'shrove' means "having gone to confession"...when you are shriven you go to the priest and confess....I must admit I have not been run off my feet!!  
But perhaps give a thought before you guzzle another pancake with blueberry cream and ice cream...perhaps it's worth doing something about the crap in your life too.!!
Happy Lent!

No comments: