Wednesday 28 July 2010

A new degree of bizzaretude

Last week I was at a function where we were discussing same-sex civil unions. An openly gay person (who has been in a long term committed relationship for 27 years) made the observation that in any long-term political lobbying it would be better if the spokesperson was clearly identified as heterosexual.
I understand what this is about. But I made the observation that I had some problem with that and my opinion was that we shouldn't be requiring people to identify themselves by what is essentially private information and no else's business other than their own...viz. their sexuality!
The politician present made the observation "Obviously you are not a politician!"
I was happy to state that I was not!
But I recognise that despite all the niceties about people's privacy, about tolerance, that people are fascinated by other people's personal affairs.
But, it would seem that we have stooped to a new low in the political arena when the private affairs of our lady PM are being treated in such a cavalier fashion.
She is living in a heterosexual relationship in a way that a good number of the general populace is. Why is it in any way remarkable? Why is it my business or yours?
It would be my hope that the electorate will express its disapproval of this sort of crap, and the invasion of privacy
In a community in which so many people have chosen (and without condemnation) to live in de facto relationships, it seems to me no more or less remarkable that one of our elected leaders should be in such a relationship. It is in reality none of my business.
And even more ridiculous when half the populace now seems to live in such relationships without anyone batting an eyelid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought one of the media outlets referring to Tim Mathieson(?) as Julia Gillard's boyfriend.
It was obvious that they were trying to create an impression of a short term relationship, ( probably one of many previous!!)
In fact most of society today would speak of him as her partner, and not use the expression de facto relationship.

Stephan Clark said...

I don't particularly like the expression 'partner' but I take your point about boyfriend