Wednesday 13 June 2012

Seven decades -1960's

The most amazing thing about the second decade of life is the degree of change that takes place. You start off a  boy and end up a young man. It is disconcerting to say the least.
It is said of the 60s that if you remember it then you weren't there; that, of course, is contingent upon your being a crack head...which I wasn't.
But it was an amazing time in the life of the world. One only has to say Beatles, and that alone explains what a fantastic decade it was. But one could equally well say Moon Landing.
For my family in 1967 we left England and came to South Australia, we did this with a certain sense of sadness. The sort of sadness that anyone will have in leaving the country of their birth, but with no regret and it was certainly the right thing to do....if that construction can be made.
Grammar School in England was very enthralling. I am glad for the opportunity, in particular, of having been exposed to the learning of both French and German...and I rather wish I was better at both (or at least one). School in Australia was quite different, and in some senses I look back and think that it lacked the rigour that I probably needed at the time and so coasted a bit. Regrets, I have a few.
I had a mad group of friends who enjoyed doing plays and music...and of course there was Monty Python (here)
An extraordinary decade really

No comments: