Thursday 26 October 2017

Deeply disturbing

Having been to the funeral of a saint this week.
(Going from my own experiences , and those of Fr Grant Bullen who eulogised our mutual friend Tim Deslandes)
I am deeply disturbed by how the 'net throws up 'saints'. Apparently they mainly lived in the 19th Century...what the ...
The only one who vaguely appeals to me is Mother Teresa.
When I was about18 I got into a party for her, and I shook her hand.
It was certainly worth it.
I know there are lots of questions about her practices but she just oozed the Holy Spirit.
As Ben B and WBY once said (but I was young and foolish)
None of this makes life easy or more understandable...I just think I am not a 19th century Catholic.
Here is a spooky wonderful version of Salley Gardens

1 comment:

Helen Finch said...

The media appoints saints with great gusto. I find it so hard to sift the grain from the chaff. There is so much that can be discouraging.
Politically I was more conservative when I was younger. I am now, like you more to the left, but not very much.
So much in realm of politics makes one discouraged.the same sex marriage "survey" is an issue in point. To see $1 million donated by the Sydney Archdiocese from what ever funding source is awful. From the limited information available from responses to the survey is that the SSM support is about the same as was before the survey was launched.
What a complete farce, an expensive farce just an attempt to stop my gay friends from having the choice of getting married. And the Federal legislation will do is to permit civil marriage, sacramental marriage will still be in the hands of the various religions as it is now.
A million dollars. How many homeless families with children could have been assisted by that money.
A friend of mine works assisting homeless children find appropriate alternative housing to fostering.when a family breaks up because of alcoholism and/ or pokies addiction. No support for siblings over 18 to care for their siblings who are under the age of 18. Suffer the little children!j