Monday 23 October 2006

Farewell to the destroyer

When I was at theological college the mother of the good senator Natasha Stott-Despoja, was a much loved journalist at The Advertiser. One of my colleagues would refer to her as "Shirley the Destroyer".
Soon the young Senator came to prominence and we understood that the epithet had passed from mother to child.
It was wonderful to see the stuffed shirts get so cross that Natasha the Destroyer could get so much press coverage simply because she was young and a woman. They who lusted after the media would seethe about how unjustified this was. In reality they were just jealous!!
She had much substance, not a little style...and was the source of inspiration to a generation of young voters who were about ready to slough off the dead skin of the political process.
I am pleased that I hear no one today saying that she should not quit politics.(here) She, quoting her health concerns and the need to properly care for her husband and young family, has no doubt made the right choice.
Though cynics will no doubt suggest she is deserting the sinking Democrat ship, she has more than adequately contributed to "vitam politicam". Though I am sure she will not be silenced completely, she will be missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, I personally think that Natasha is currently, and has been for as long as I can remember, the hottest woman in Australian politics. She's got it in spades, a sharp and incisive mind, a sparkling wit, a beutiful smile and bubbling laugh, and a natural grace and presense. And by crikey, can she debate.

I'm a fan, and not just because I'm a bloke. While all partakers in politics inevitably become somewhat less than their young ideals, Natasha I believe has remained pretty much true to herself and to Australian democrats. A shining light of honesty, integrity, sharp intelligence and passion. I for one, think that the Australian political landscape suffers greatly for her leaving, but I wholly wish her all the best.