Wednesday 21 November 2007

Life with father

I had a curious conversation with L yesterday about our father. She said "You know I had a conversation with our father..." I could not help but quip "You mean, our father who is not in heaven."
She looked at me quizzically as though I was implying that our earthly father had, for some reason known to me alone, been damned for all eternity! I should learn to keep my mouth shut. Had I known what she was then going to say perhaps I would have.
Any way she went on. "He said to me one day...I don't know if I believe in God."
Self-obsessed that I am I merely observed. "Well you are lucky you actually had an adult conversation with him, because I never did."
"After he died, " she went on, " I was really disturbed by this, and I had to talk to someone about it."
Thick as I am, this didn't seem outrageous to me since I think that doubting faith in God is a really healthy, and indeed inevitable. But this is not necessarily the case (I failed to realise) with someone whose faith is not so precocious as mine.
As I was driving home I realised she was actually telling me something that for her was pretty important for me to know.
Good to have such a conversation with your sister!!

And NO! I was not suggesting that I knew somethign about my father's eternal destiny that God had personally revealed to me.

No comments: