Thursday 14 February 2008

The sticking place

I am finding it hard to discuss the recent developments in indigenous relations. So many conversations have the sense of people pursing their lips and obviously disagreeing with what is being said.
The righting of wrongs seems like such a good thing to do that it is difficult when people think otherwise. I don't understand why so many white people feel aggrieved by aboriginal people, when you tease it out they have often had little or no encounter with them. But how often conversations seem to drift from righting the wrong to curiously blame-laden comments like..."I just hope they will do the right thing now!" Often implying that they are not likely to do so.
This is the underbelly of the racism that pervades our society, it is deep, unacknowledged and unknowing.
We will come quickly to the point where we will need courage to front the criticism and the prejudice. I think Rudd has the ticker to do this. I pray it be so.
I was drawn to that conversation between Mr and Mrs MacBeth, when he is weakening and needs to be pushed to continue to the bitter end
MACBETH
If we should fail?
LADY MACBETH
We fail!But screw your courage
to the sticking-place,And we'll not fail.
Macbeth, Act I, Scene VII


It is not a perfect match, but it will do for today. And so inevitably I googled my way into another couple of good quotes

Fear is the basis for everything terrible.

Fear is what causes all the horror in the world. No man achieves anything through fear. Fear isn't constructive. The only thing that can save people is to say I'm not afraid anymore. The minute they say they are not afraid they cannot commit a wrong act. There will be no such thing as a wrong act.
John Cassavetes


From a certain point on, there is no more turning back. That is the point that must be reached.
Franz Kafka

No comments: