Saturday 17 May 2008

What gives you the right?

I don't know why people think they have the right to dismiss people on grounds of sexuality.
A perfectly normal conversation with a person about a pastoral situation...they then said "Oh I don't really like that N, you know the gay one!" and then flopped their wrist as if that some how clinched the argument "He's a bit emotional!"
The fact that his father had just died seemed to have escaped the commenators limited critical faculties, the fact that his (perfectly heterosexual) brother had also been crying remained unnoticed.
I mean if the comments had gone
"Oh I don't really like that N, you know the black one"...then the prejudice would not have gone unnoticed...or if it had been a comment made about a woman or a Jew, or a handicapped person, or a tall person.
Am I just getting too sensitive about gay issues?

No comments: