Tuesday 18 November 2008

Facing the Book

The other day there was a special Facebook  event, called a "Day without Facebook".
It is an interesting concept, what is of particular interest to me is that our youngest daughter was the one who was keenest on it. She explained to me the reasons for ti as she had discovered them...that Facebook collects information about its users, that it then uses it to target advertise.....so she will always have lots of things about High School Musical and the Jonas Bros. To my mind this is not so invidious but she understood something of its significance...what we don't know can in fact be rather suspicious, may in fact be malicious and is almost certainly something more than we bargained for.
I rather think this is the nature of the world we live in, and has ever been so, it is called propaganda. It is not necessarily a bad thing. But we are right to be suspicious.
Dear old S did, I think, have a day without Facebook,  she spent it on My Space instead!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: